At some point in their lives, homeowners start a home remodeling project. Most of them are motivated to remodel as a necessity due to the deterioration of certain parts of the house. Others remodel their homes to adjust to recent lifestyle changes.
No matter the reason behind the decision, remodeling projects can take a toll on your bank account. Budget ideas such as buying discount cabinets can greatly help homeowners save money.
How Much Do Kitchen Remodels Cost?
According to a 2019 Cost vs. Value report, mid-range kitchen remodels cost an average of $66,196, while an upscale remodel has an average of $131,510. Even a minor kitchen remodel can take a chunk out of your wallet at an average cost of $22,507.
Ideas to Lower Remodeling Costs
Transforming your kitchen into something that you like doesn’t have to cost a fortune. The good news is that homeowners can lower their remodeling costs by following some of these budget ideas.
- Go for DIYs – According to HomeAdvisor, the cost of labor may reach up to 20 to 35 percent of your budget. This comes as no surprise since you would be hiring carpenters, electricians, and plumbers.
You can save big by cutting costs on labor. Instead of hiring professionals, do the work that you can. Some remodeling projects are easy enough for a beginner to accomplish.
Research the job carefully before you decide. If the project requires skills that are beyond your capabilities, it is best to hire a professional to prevent additional costs due to damages.
- Buy discounted materials – You can lower your cost by shopping at stores that sell wholesale or discount cabinets, counters, and other materials. Take your time surfing the web and visiting several stores in your area. You may be surprised to find materials that are stylish and sturdy for a lower price.
- Transform rather than replace – If your furniture and flooring are in good condition, transform them instead of buying replacements.
Give cabinets a new look by repainting or refinishing them. Take out the doors for a modern open shelf look. You can also reface them by applying new cabinet boxes and veneers.
Sometimes, tiles only need a good cleaning while wooden floors require refinishing to make them look brand new.
- Bring in more light – Lighting can dramatically change the whole look of a kitchen. Try to play around with the lighting by bringing in more light.
Put them in places where you do most activities such as counters where you prepare food. You can also add lights on top of cabinets to put some accent on empty places and make them feel intentional.
- Keep the original floor plan – Changing the layout of your kitchen by taking down and building walls, relocating the plumbing, or moving electrical services will drive your budget to the roof. Keep the same kitchen layout and only change the elements within that framework.
The cost to remodel a kitchen is the same as buying a luxury car or going to an ivy league. It’s an expensive remodeling project that can take a big chunk out of your pocket.
But homeowners can lower their costs by saving on materials and labor. Several DIY projects such as painting can transform your dingy and outdated kitchen into a modern one.