As a pet parent, making sure your dog has a healthy diet is probably one of your top concerns. Giving them food that is healthy and nutritious is important to keep your pup in their prime. Knowing that their food is full of all the right things can give you that peace of mind that you’re searching for. But there are SO many options when it comes to dog foods nowadays:
grain-free, grass-fed, freeze-dried. The list goes on and on. So what ingredients are in the best dog foods?
When looking for a good dog food, you want to make sure it checks off a few things on the ‘best dog food’ checklist. One of which being that there are clean ingredients. What does that mean exactly? Clean ingredients mean that they are natural. But the ‘natural’ label can be slapped on anything that includes even one natural ingredient. While there may be some natural ingredients in certain dog foods, it doesn’t necessarily mean that synthetics and sketchy ingredients weren’t also added to the mix. You have to look carefully at what the dog food is made of. Seeing ingredients that you’re familiar with is a telltale sign that the dog food is truly natural.
Now that you know to look for ingredients that are clean, you also want to make sure those ingredients are beneficial for your dog. While you may be seeing something that is good for you to eat, it may not mean it’s beneficial for your dog to chow down on. Here are some of the top ingredients in the best dog foods:
- Meat- One of the things that is highest on the best dog foods’ ingredient lists is meat. Meat is a great source of protein, something that dogs need a lot of to grow strong. Seeing a meat that is USDA is even better. That means the meat has been handled in a kitchen that is USDA monitored and approved.
- Grains- Another type of ingredient to keep your eyes peeled for is grain. Grain is a great source of carbohydrates for your dog, something that is needed to give them plenty of energy for the day. While grains are great for fueling, they can also aid in the digestion of food.
- Vegetables- Vegetables are another ingredient included in the best dog foods. As we all know, they are a great source of vitamins and minerals—things that dogs need, too.
- Fruits- Believe it or not, your dog could benefit from having fruits in their diet as well. Cranberries are a great one to look out for because they not only kill certain bacteria to aid in dental hygiene, but they can also help with prevention of urinary tract infections. Apples and blueberries are another superfruit for dogs since they include antioxidants and fiber.
- Fats- While it may be a bit of a shock, it can be good for your dog to have some healthy fat in their food. Good fats help with digestion and help your dog’s cells function.
Looking at the ingredients list is certainly the first thing to do, but looking at a breakdown or analysis of what is in the food is also especially important. The best dog foods always have a good balance of protein, fat, and fiber, so keep a look out for those as well.
We all want the best for our dogs, and that’s especially true with their food. Knowing what should be inside your dog’s food is the best way to make sure you’re choosing the most complete and balanced food for them. At the end of the day, the best dog foods are simple. They include a healthy balance of meat, grains, fruits, vegetables, and fats to keep your dog nourished and strong.