Moving is not only a daunting task but risky too. It is hard on you mentally, emotionally, and physically. Every stage of relocation needs to be handled with the utmost care.
To help you, get more info on 5 safety tips that you should follow to avoid injuries while moving:
Avoid lifting heavy stuff
While moving, avoid lifting anything heavy as it can pose health risks to you. It’s better to keep boxes a bit lighter in weight to easily lift them or better to drag them.
Lifting, loading, and unloading heavy items is a team task. Make your safety a top priority and ask friends or family members for the assistance. They can provide both physical and emotional support to help in your relocation.
When you relocate, smart packing is an important factor to consider. Careless packing will harm you as well as your personal belongings.
Some of the packing tips to avoid injuries are:
- Carefully wrap sharp items such as knives, or gardening supplies by using packing paper or bubble wrap;
- For an extra layer of protection, wrap fragile items in clothes or towels;
- Protect sensitive items such as delicate cookware by using bubble-wrap;
- Pack boxes of fragile items with plenty of padding to avoid damage;
- Anything that you should carry with caution should have appropriate labels.
Use safe lifting techniques
Why injure yourself carrying heavyweight household items when you can use easy techniques to lift them effortlessly?
- Some of the safe lifting techniques are:
- Use lifting tools such as dolly or slider to carry and move heavy objects like furniture;
- Bend at the knees, keep your back straight, and use the strength of your lower limbs to lift;
- Push heavy items forward than to pull them backward;
- While pushing, keep your movements slow to oppose sudden jerks;
- Lift heavy objects near to the body to maintain balance.
- Use these basic protocols for the best protection against injuries.
Take care of yourself
“Health is wealth” is a popular phrase that prevails in almost every language. Take care of your health as it is one of the biggest treasures we have.
Some of the health care tips to avoid injuries are:
- Dress for the moving occasion: Avoid wearing baggy or too-big clothing; instead wear breathable clothes that won’t limit your movements.
- Wear comfortable shoes: Flimsy flip flops or shoes with heels can break your balance and hinder movability. Choose a comfortable and closed pair that can give you the best protection and flexibility.
- Use protective gear: Wear high-quality working gloves to improve grip and protect your hands.
- Eat well & stay hydrated: Taking a good diet and enough water is important when you are moving. Failure to do so can cause weakness, dehydration, and all factors that can make you more prone to injury.
- Sleep well: A night before house moving, go to bed early, and sleep well. That way, you’ll have enough energy to move efficiently, smartly, and safely.
Seek professional help
Moving is one of the stressful tasks to tackle on your own. To ensure your safety and peace of mind, it’s better to hire a professional moving company.
House movers have a pool of experience to get the job done faster and more efficiently than you. Many companies are even insured in case an injury happens.
Besides, they have all the necessary equipment to pack, load, transport, and unload your belongings from one place to another safely.
Having a safe relocation from start to finish requires both meticulous planning and flawless execution. Follow these moving safety protocols to prevent accidents and to have a hassle-free moving experience.
Stay safe, protected & healthy!