Everyone loves the charm and elegance that comes with a grandfather clock, and if you are thinking about adding one to your home, or even starting a collection, there is much to consider. If you are looking to make a wise investment, a grandfather clock is an excellent choice. Here are a few reasons why.
- Appreciation Over Time – Much like any fine antique piece, a grandfather clock would become more valuable as time passes, and it would obviously need to be cleaned and maintained, as per the guidelines. As a general rule, a grandfather clock should be serviced on an annual basis, when the technician would check the accuracy, lubricate and generally check that all is well. If, for example, you were the owner of the clock for 10-15 years and it was well cared for, then you could expect to make a tidy profit.
- Supply & Demand – As you would expect, there was a finite number of long case clocks ever made, and the value of a grandfather clock would depend on several things, including the age of the clock, its rarity, the name of the maker and, of course, the condition of the item in question. Of all the grandfather clocks in existence, only a small number would be up for sale, and avid collectors will pay a lot of money for the right long case clock. You can view a selection of grandfather clocks at loveantiques.com, one of the UK’s leading antique dealers.
- Aesthetic Value – While you could invest in diamonds or precious metals and keep it locked up in a safe, you would not get any pleasure from the ownership, whereas, if you invest in a grandfather clock, you get to enjoy it for many years. This is a definite bonus, and if you make a wise purchase, you can expect to see a healthy return when you do finally sell.
- Family Heirloom – You could start a family tradition and inform your children that when you pass on, they are to take care of the clock and bequeath it to their children, and so on. This tradition would certainly guarantee that some of your descendants would greatly benefit from the investment.
- Learning About Long Case Clocks – If you are thinking about starting to collect these amazing timepieces, the more you know, the better, and investing large amounts does require some investigation. The Internet provides the perfect platform to learn about grandfather clocks, with many educational websites that have essential information on every aspect of the long case clock.
Much like any other investment, when buying an antique grandfather clock, you should carry out your own research and carefully examine the piece in question. If you are not confident in making a purchase, talk to a local antique dealer, who would have a range of long case clocks, all genuine and affordable. The dealer would also know the history of the clock, which is an important aspect, plus he can service the clock at regular intervals, and over the years, your investment will grow.