Thinking of switching to an online pharmacy in Canada, but a bit afraid of where to look? Here’s how to order prescription drugs online, safely and affordably!
America spends $200 billion dollarshttps://www.consumerreports.org/prescription-drugs/too-many-meds-americas-love-affair-with-prescription-medication/ on prescription drugs per year.
You may be one of them. With rising health care costs, adding the cost of a prescription into your life can feel like another financial burden.
Is there a way to save money on medication?
Before you take your next prescription to your local pharmacy consider switching to an online pharmacy. But is it safe to order prescription drugs online? What are the benefits? Are there any risks? Can it save money and time?
Let’s explore why switching to an online pharmacy could be the right step for you.
What is An Online Pharmacy?
An online pharmacy allows you to order the medication that you need and it’s shipped to your home. For some, especially those with mobility issues, this is incredibly convenient. Online pharmacies are beneficial for those who live far from urban or suburban places, as it saves them the trip of heading to the city.
To order from an online pharmacy, you’ll need access to the internet.
Benefits of an Online Pharmacy
An online pharmacy provides many benefits for those who are interested in using its services.
It’s not uncommon for online pharmacies to boast a 90% savings on their drugs. One of the reasons for this is because their facilities are often larger and have fewer expenses. Therefore, they can offer you greater savings on your prescriptions.
90% is not a steady number across the board. All pharmacies will vary in their pricing.
Some online pharmacies even offer coupons you can or allow you to buy in bulk to increase your savings.
No need to Leave Your Home
One thing that’s undeniable about online pharmacies is their convenience. As long as you have access to an internet connection, you can log onto an online pharmacy and browse their selection. If you lead a very busy life, this is beneficial as you can shop from the comfort of your own home.
As all pharmacies vary in their pricing, this is a perfect opportunity to find the best price on the prescriptions. When you’re using a local pharmacy, you must call around to find the lowest price.
Risks of an Online Pharmacy
Shopping online for prescription drugs does not come without its risks. Because online pharmacies are becoming more popular, there are individuals who will market a false pharmacy and sell drugs that are dangerous to your health.
Here are some things to consider before ordering medications online.
- All legal online pharmacies must ask for a prescription from a doctor. Any pharmacy that lacks this critical step should be avoided.
- Must hold a valid license to sell pharmaceuticals. A license makes it a legal online pharmacy.
- Online pharmacies have no right to diagnose your condition. If they ask you for information regarding the need for medication, it could be a sign that this pharmacy is fraudulent.
- If there’s no address, phone number or way to reach a customer service line, the pharmacy could be dangerous.
How to Order Prescriptions Online Safely
While there are many perks to ordering your medications online, always take steps to do it safely.
- While the prices for online pharmacies far outweigh those of locals shops, if the price seems to exceed the typical 80-90% mark, it’s probably not safe. Look for reasonable prices, not rock-bottom ones. Keeping track of prices as you comparison shop can help you identify a potential false price.
- Fees should be explained upfront. While there’s usually a shipping charge, there can be hidden fees as well. Consult customer service about these prices and ask them to explain it to you.
- The pharmacy must be licensed. Pharmacies that are not can sell drugs that make you incredibly ill. In some cases, they could issue you medication that isn’t the right strength or the incorrect medication altogether.
Expired medications, medications that are unapproved, wrong ingredients, and other reasons are all risks you take when you order from an online pharmacy that isn’t licensed.
- Check with the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) to see if an online pharmacy is legit. They ensure that all online pharmacies are practicing safe standards. A very high percentage of online pharmacies have been proven to be counterfeit.
- Is there an in-house pharmacist? If you have questions regarding your prescription, a pharmacist should be able to answer them thoroughly.
- All legal online pharmacies will display a seal from NABP called the Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites (VIPPS) to guarantee validity. Each online pharmacy must follow strict guidelines to attain this seal.
- Consider using a Canadian Pharmacy. Canadian Pharmacies often have lower prices than the United States. However, there are some stipulations that need to be followed, as it is illegal to import drugs from foreign countries into the US.
Though Canadian pharmacies operate similarly to US pharmacies by upholding certain standards, be on the lookout for their safety seal, which is Canadian International Pharmacy Association or CIPA, the equivalent of NABP.
- Every pharmacy should issue information regarding your prescription, such as literature about side effects, dosage, and a number to call if have questions.
- Always inspect your medication upon arrival. If you notice any suspicious, dispose of it and contact the NABP or CIPA immediately.
Is Buying Medication Online Worth It?
While there are several serious risks that come with ordering medication online, if you follow the steps to ensure validating that the pharmacy is licensed and follows the safety standards, you should be good to go. In fact, it can be a prime way to save money if you’re having trouble paying for your prescriptions.
Online Pharmacies: Give Them A Try
When you order prescription drugs online you tap into a convenient and cost-effective way to take your prescriptions. Although it takes a little bit of extra work, once you find a pharmacy that works for you, ordering is a breeze and a time-saver.
Looking for more lifestyle tips? Visit our page to learn more!